Monday, June 20, 2011

First day at the hospital... (Monday morning)

After a yummy breakfast, Kerry read her journal writing and Dan gave us the message of the day. Then we jumped in 3 taxis and headed to the hospital. It was about a 5-10 minute taxi ride.
Emily as we got out of the taxis.


It is suggested that we wear street clothes to the hospital and change after we arrive. Emily is looking lovely and official after she changed into her scrubs. However, I think we have both decided that it is awfully hot to be wearing scrubs in an un-airconditioned hospital.. tomorrow will be shorts and a scrub top for me!!
Emily and Gabriela with one of the balls we bought for her. I first met Gabriela in Dec 2008 at the Tutova Clinic... she was a chubby, lovable baby! Now she is a tall skinny girl but still so lovable!!
Paula... Paula was also at Tutova Clinic when I first arrived in December 2008.. but I must say she has changed in so many positive ways it is AMAZING!

This beautiful girl is Ionella, 10 months old. She just came to the hospital on Friday. Here is her story. A lady called the police and said she found this beautiful baby in the road with a note saying the mother could no longer take care of her. :-( Turns out that wasn't the truth.. the lady was Ionella's mother!! She just doesn't feel she can care for her any longer. If I am not mistaken the doctor said the mother was 17 and has 3 children.
Ionella is BEAUTIFUL! She did not enjoy being held much today. She would point to the crib frequently wanting us to put her in and leave her alone. She is going to have to adjust to being around people and being held and loved.

Katie and baby Ana Maria. Ana-Maria is 18 months old.

Another picture of Emily and Gabriela.

Marius. Marius was at the Tutova Clinic in December 2008 during my first trip to Romania. He became Emily's "favorite" as she learned more about him through my blog. We were super excited to see him today!


Mihaela. Mihaela is Gabriela's twin sister -- so of course I met her for the first time in Dec. 2008 also. Mihaela is a normal active beautiful girl. She does have a cold and that is the reason for the IV on her wrist :-(
This is a new boy named Sebastian. He and his brother Alexandru were taken by CPS and brought to the hospital last week.

Maria-Cleopatra is a beautiful girl who is hydrocephalic. She also came to Tutova Clinic in Dec. 2008. She recently had a shunt placed.
Mihaela, Jane (volunteer from Australia), Gabriela, and Emily

One of the playrooms where the older children gather. (Volunteers Kerry, Bob, and Brad are in this picture but only Brad can really be seen. :-) )

Maria-Cleopatra

Emily and Mihaela dancing

Having a music lesson: Emily, Mihaela, Gabi, Jane, and volunteer Jennea (from MN)

This precious boy came to the hospital on Friday also.. he and his sisters were taken by CPS. His name is Emilian and he is 4 or 5 years old.
This is Mina, Emilian's sister. She is 4 or 5 years old. Not sure which is the older of the 2.
Mihaela with a drum set we brought from the States.

Gabriela with a ball we brought from the States.
Marius and Jennea having a great time throwing the ball over and into the crib. He was laughing so hard.. check out his cute dimple!
Sweet baby Ionella




After all the morning medical exams were completed we were able to bring some of the children outside. Nine volunteers, ten kiddos, and 2 strollers down 4 flights of stairs.. it was rather comical!
Alexandru and Sebastian - brothers and sweethearts!! They are so loving and shy!

Alexandru or just Alex


Emily and Ana-Maria

This lovely lady is Deona-Georgiana. She got stuck with the names Sunshine and Strawberry Shortcake today because none of us could remember her name! She is the baby sister to Mina and Emilian. Mina and Emilian had a great time pushing her in a stroller outside.


This little guy was cracking me up. Whenever he wouldn't get his way he would run over behind the bushes and pout. His name is either Gabriel or George LOL I am not sure which but will find out for sure tomorrow.. and he has a sister named Denisa. They were also taken by CPS in the past week.

This is beautiful Denisa... I did not get a good enough photo for you to see how beautiful she is.. but she is lovely! Bright eyes and huge smiles! She is also shy and likes to be close to volunteers.

Deona and Emilian on the swings


Brad and Kerry playing on the merry go round



Alex loves this toy!


Mina loved my camera.. she made all these silly faces and then wanted to see the pictures!

Emily and Ana-Maria playing in the grass.

Krista (from California) with Ionella visiting with Emily and Ana-Maria

Jane and Denisia (sp?)


Emily stole my camera for this one! At least Ana-Maria looks good!


After playtime we took the kids back upstairs for lunch. As soon as we came back inside Dan told us that it was time for Marius to head back to the Placement Center -- here several of the Tutova kids went. :-( We were sad to see him go but so happy that we were able to see him in the first place!!


Coca, an aide from Tutova, came to visit! Coca is one of the sweetest, happiest ladies I have ever met! I wish I knew more Romanian so I could communicate with her more! She loves sweet Ana-Maria and comes to check on her when she has a break from working with Raul.

Mihaela got curious about my camera while waiting for her lunch...

Gabi is worrying me... she ate less than half her bottle at lunch and none of her afternoon bottle. She is *so* skinny! :-( I am going to start sneaking something/anything in to get her to eat!! Okay not really or not without permission from Dan! But I think I will go to the store and get either yogurt or baby food in the morning.. the nurses think too much yogurt will give the babies diarrhea but they ate it EVERY DAY at Tutova and were fine!


Dan's wife, Mihaela (who is also a Country Manager/Team Leader for Global Volunteers) cane to visit before lunch and had a singing session with some of the older kids. Their daughter Delia assisted her.


Shortly after the last song was sung it was time for everyone to take a nap and for volunteers to have lunch. I do have more pictures from the afternoon but it is 10:30 in Romania and I must go to bed or be worthless tomorrow! If I happen to wake up early and blogger is cooperating I will post more pictures then! Noapte buna! Goodnight!

11 comments:

Pat's Romanian Journal said...

Than for posting these Terri! It is so good to see the kids, even though it's sad to see Gabriella looking so wan.

No Ion? Is he at the Placement Center?

Rebecca Smock said...

Ooooohhhhh, I'm so excited to be getting caught up on your blog!! As you know, things have been a little crazy at my house with Charlie's accident so I'm behind in reading about your trip. However, you and Emily have been in my thoughts and prayers so, so much and I am wishing you safe travels, wonderful experiences and a closeness to God and each other through this amazing mission you are brave enough to undertake. I can't wait to follow you and live it through you a little. Tons and tons of love and hugs and peace to you and Emily!!!

Amanda said...

Omg! I so wish I was with you all! The kids are so adorable! Give them lots of love, which I know you will! I cannot believe how precious looking they are, it melted my heart! Love you guys!

Evan said...

So happy that Emily is there with you. At Tutova, I could never get Gaby to eat from a spoon - or to even eat finger food. Sometimes we tried putting her in the jumperoo and putting yogurt on the tray and she would eat some of it with her fingers. But I'm worried about her nutrition. And thanks so much for bringing the balls. You are the best.

Mary Beth said...

Many thanks, Terri, for the wonderful words and images. I was in Tutova 18 months ago and am so glad to get updates. Especially seeing Mihaela and Gabby, and knowing you and the staff there will hug/kiss/feed/nurture those little girls, I'm a happier person after reading your blog.
Thanks too to Evan for keeping me in the loop.
I'd love to hear what's happening with Ioan and also with Petre.
I'll read this blog everyday!

Jane Patten said...

Great blog, Terri! Your daughter is a mini you and just beautiful! It is sad to see Miha and Gabi without hair but they look happy and I am so glad you are there to love on them! Please tell Coca hello from me.....I love her too!

yokoot said...

thank you so much for the blog!! i am so happy i discovered it through jane on FB. i have been missing the kids terribly and especially wondering how cleo was doing. ever since evan left, i haven't had a blog to follow them and never knew the importance of blogging until now. thank you, thank you!! i know it's a lot of work but we are so grateful. i was so happy to see gaby, cleo, marius, and ana-maria with coca...brought tears to my eyes.

Terri McCarter said...

Ion is at the Placement Center, along with Alina.. Dan did mention to the worker from the Placement Center that I would like to see them while I am here and she said she would try to send them over to the hospital! LOL I honestly think they are just not as well equipped to deal with young children and they "share" them with the hospital. Thanks for the info about Gabi.. I am determined to get some food into her each day! I wonder if they sell PediSure in RO? I will check and see if I can get the doctor to approve using it. Thanks Jane.. I am so happy that Emily loves being here as much as I do! I will have Dan help me translate your hello to Cocoa because there is another Jane on this trip! LOL I would really confuse her if I tried to muddle through!

Terri McCarter said...

Rebecca and Mandi,
Thanks for reading the blog ladies! Rebecca, I am still praying for Charlie's recovery! So happy to hear the doctor expects full recovery!! I too am in love with Ionella's HUGE eyes! Say special prayers for that little one... she is so reluctant to interact :-( She was better in the afternoon though..so maybe it was just the strangeness of 9 English speaking freaks surrounding her!! LOL

Trish Cole said...

At last...those beautiful babies! You and Em look so happy! From some of the other comments on your blog sounds like we could take our own team and then at least we could all get lost together! LOL Praying for you guys and the babies! Miss seeing the curls on Gabi and Miheala! God is soooo awesome!! Love you all!

Nancy Hess said...

So happy to read your blog!! and see the pics of course!